University of Thessaly (UTH) was founded in 1984. UTH is a prominent institution of Higher Education aiming to promote scientific knowledge through teaching and research, and to contribute to the cultural and economic development of the local community, and the society at large. It promotes scientific and academic excellence in all fields of expertise and rewards outstanding individual performances, establishing new scientific research units and fostering an environment that supports innovative actions.
Today, University of Thessaly, with 37 Departments and 8 schools, is the third biggest University in Greece, with its own identity and with a prominent position in our national educational system. University of Thessaly provides 105 undergraduate and postgraduate programs, and extra-curricular modules in specific research and business fields. It has more than 42.000 undergraduate students, about 4300 postgraduate students and about 1500 PhD students. It also has 1000 members of teaching and research staff and 450 members of administrative personnel. It is known for its excellent research performance and outstanding scientific achievements, in accordance with the international standards. The excellent equipped Laboratories of the different Departments and Research Units have a number of well-trained researchers to support them.
As part of its future goals, University of Thessaly intends to strengthen its cooperation’s abroad, increase its human resources, upgrade and utilize existing human resources, attract young scientists and encourage research through the creation of modern research structures, increase infrastructure and utilize its assets and funds from the EU with the research programmes Horizon 2020, RFSR, FP6, FP7, Erasmus+, INTERREG, and LIFE. The members of the academic and research staff participate in European research networks and numerous innovative research projects in the EC. Currently, UTH has more than 600 Erasmus Bilateral Agreements with more than 40 different countries, and works in partnership with European and overseas institutions to facilitate academic exchanges, research collaborations and jointly organized academic programs (intensive courses, summer schools etc.) with other higher education institutions.
Schools and Departments:
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences: Departments of Primary Education, Early Childhood Education, Special Education, History, Archaeology and Social Anthropology, Culture, Creative Media and Industries, Language and Intercultural Studies.
- School of Engineering: Department of Architecture Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Planning and Regional Development, Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- School of Agricultural Sciences: Departments of Agriculture Crop Production and Rural Environment, Ichthyology and Aquatic Environment, Agrotechnology, Animal Science, Food Science and Human Nutrition.
- School of Health Sciences: Departments of Medicine, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Nursing, Public and Integrated Health, Physiotherapy, and Veterinary Science.
- School of Technology: Departments of Energy Systems, Environmental Sciences, Digital Systems, Forestry, Wood Science and Design.
- School of Economics and Business: Departments of Economics, Accounting and Finance, and Business Administration.
- School οf Physical Education and Sport Science: Departments of Physical Education and Sport Science, Nutrition and Dietetics.
- School of Science: Departments of Computer Science and Biomedical Informatics, Computer Science, Physics, and Mathematics.
Source: University of Thessaly