Nottingham Trent University is a public research university in Nottingham, England. Its roots go back to 1843 with the establishment of the Nottingham Government School of Design, which still exists within the university today. It is the 9th largest university in the UK (out of 169) with 35,785 students split over five different campuses.
The university was formed by the amalgamation of many separate institutions of higher education. It originated from the Nottingham Government School of Design founded in 1843.
In 1945, the Nottingham and District Technical College was established. In 1958, Nottingham Regional College of Technology opened and in 1959, the Nottingham College of Education began at Clifton. In 1964, Nottingham Regional College was opened and in 1966, the original Nottingham College of Design was linked with the Regional College. Together they merged and the institution was upgraded to Polytechnic status in 1970 to become ‘Trent Polytechnic’. In 1975, it amalgamated with Nottingham College of Education.
Under the Further and Higher Education Act 1992 all Polytechnics and some higher education colleges became eligible for full university status; at this point, the institution officially became ‘Nottingham Trent University’.
In 2017, the university received the Times Higher Education ‘University of the Year Award’ and in 2018, the ‘Modern University of the Year Award’ from the Sunday Times. In 2019, The Guardian awarded the university its ‘University of the Year’ award.
Located just north of Nottingham City Centre, the City site is home to over 17,000 students from Nottingham Business School, Nottingham Law School, School of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment, School of Art & Design, School of Social Sciences and the Centre for Broadcasting & Journalism, which regenerated Newton and Arkwright, two of the university’s largest and oldest owned buildings. On 18 May 2011, the two buildings were officially opened by Sir David Attenborough.
The Boots Library is the main library of the university. It is in the centre of the city site and supports the schools of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment, Art & Design, Nottingham Business School, Nottingham Law School and Social Sciences. It is a purpose-built building, completed in 1998 at a total cost of £13m with a refurbishment completed in summer 2013. It is set over four levels plus a further level dedicated to 24-hour computing facilities. There are branch libraries on the Clifton and Brackenhurst campuses serving the schools located there, and include additional Animal Planet digital facilities.
The Recent Advances in Manufacturing database (RAM) is published by the library and information department. It is a bibliographic indexing service providing information for manufacturing and related areas. Literature covered includes journals, magazines, books, videos, and conference proceedings with from 1990 to the present.
Home to over 9,000 students from the School of Arts and Humanities, School of Science and Technology and School of Education. 4 miles (6 kilometres) outside the city centre, the Clifton campus is a self-contained, greenfield site. It hosts an Anthony Nolan Trust Cord Blood Bank, and the John van Geest Cancer Research Centre, recipient of the largest research grant awarded to a post-1992 university. The Clifton campus has benefited from investments including the Lee Westwood Sports Centre and student accommodation. Clifton campus is linked to the City site by a regular student bus service (number 4) operated by NCTX.
Home to over 1,000 students from the School of Animal, Rural and Environmental Sciences. About 14 mi (23 km) from the city centre, Brackenhurst campus is a countryside estate with woodland, a lake and landscaped gardens. Contrasting the country house built in 1828 are facilities including the high-tech glasshouse and new Veterinary Nursing building. The Veterinary Nursing Centre was purpose-built in 2007 and was made a RCVS accredited Veterinary Nursing Centre. It has a simulated Veterinary Practice giving students hands-on experience.
Confetti Campus, home to the Confetti Institute of Creative Technologies, is located a short walk east of the city centre on Convent Street. It is home to 2000 students across its college and degree courses. The campus consists of the main Digital Media Hub on Convent Street, as well as Metronome (both a live music venue and a music studio complex) on Huntingdon Street, and Space 2 (a shared building that contains TV studios and related facilities) near Sneinton market. The institute, along with all its related businesses (collectively the Confetti Media Group), were bought by NTU in 2015.
Source: Nottingham Trent University