The University of Naples Federico II is a public university in Naples, Italy. Established in 1224, it is the oldest public non-sectarian university in the world, and is now organized into 26 departments. Noted for being the oldest state-funded university, it is believed to be the oldest secular state university in the world.
It was Europe’s first university dedicated to training secular administrative staff, and is one of the oldest academic institutions in continuous operation. Federico II is the third University in Italy by number of students enrolled, but despite its size it is still one of the best universities in Italy and the world, in southern Italy it leads 1st Ranking since it started, being particularly notable for research; in 2015 it was ranked among the top 100 universities in the world by citations per paper. According to the CWUR ranking (Center for World University Rankings), in 2022-2023 it is confirmed as the sixth Italian university in the world ranking.
The university is named after its founder Frederick II. In October 2016 the university hosted the first ever Apple IOS Developer Academy and in 2018 the Cisco Digital Transformation Lab.
The University of Naples Federico II possesses a vast architectural heritage, the result of acquisitions made over the centuries. Where not specified, the municipality to which it belongs is that of Naples.
- Central Headquarters (Palace of the University of Naples Federico II):
The headquarters of the University of Naples Federico II is located along Corso Umberto I, at the corner with Via Mezzocannone, at number 40. The building is in neo-baroque style and was erected during the Risanamento, between 1897 and 1908, based on a project by the architects Pierpaolo Quaglia and Guglielmo Melisurgo. The headquarters, as it is commonly and widely known in the university environment, stands close to the original university complex (which since 1777 had found its place in the Casa del Salvatore, no longer owned by the Jesuits). However, the new building was not isolated from the complex behind it as the architects took care to connect it with the pre-existing offices behind it through the so-called Scalone della Minerva, which originates in the courtyard of the University building and ends in the Jesuit courtyard, overcoming a height difference of more than 7 m. The site houses the offices of the central management of the university (Rectorate, Academic Senate, Treasury, etc.) and the Department of Law. It is also the secondary seat of the Department of Humanities.
- Policlinico – Cappella Cangiani Complex (Federico II University Hospital): The Cangiani Chapel Complex, so called because it is located in the Cangiani district in Rione Alto (5th Municipality), covers an area of 441,000 m² on which 21 buildings stand for a covered area of 57,086 m² (and a total floor area of 257,118 m²). The main entrance to the university hospital complex is located in via Pansini; three other secondary entrances can be used on certain days and times. Mobility within the vast complex is ensured by a free mini-bus service which connects the main entrance with the various pavilions. The Department of Clinical Medicine and Surgery, the Department of Pharmacy, the Department of Molecular Medicine and Medical Biotechnology, the Department of Neurosciences and Reproductive and Odontostomatological Sciences, the Department of Public Health, the Department of Advanced Biomedical Sciences and the Department of Translational Medical Sciences.
- “Porta di Massa” Complex (Complex of San Pietro Martire): The Porta di Massa office is so called as it is located in Via Porta di Massa, 1. The Department of Humanities is located here, which includes the degree courses in Modern Literature, Languages, Cultures and Literature and Philosophy.
- Monte Sant’Angelo complex: seat of the scientific and economic area departments, it is located in Via Cupa Nuova Cintia, 21.
The university has 13 faculties:
- Letters and philosophy
- Mathematical, physical and natural sciences
- Medicine and surgery
- Political sciences
- Veterinary medicine